Torthorwald Parish Church, Churchyard And Gatepiers
Site Type BURIAL GROUND (MEDIEVAL), CHURCH (MEDIEVAL), GATE PIER (MEDIEVAL), GRAVE SLAB (MEDIEVAL)
Canmore ID 66153
Site Number NY07NW 3
NGR NY 03577 78233
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District NITHSDALE
Former County DUMFRIES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NY07NW 3.00 03577 78233.
NY07NW 3.01 NY c.0360 7823 Old Parish Church
(NY 0360 7823) Church (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map (1948)
This T-plan church (built 1782) occupies the W side of the enlarged burial-ground at Torthorwald. The site of the medieval parish church is probably indicated by a terrace, extending from the E wall of the present church, measuring about 20m from W to E by 8m transversely. The S side of the terrace is respected by a number of 18th-century gravestones and slabs, the earliest dated 1710, while only gravestones of 19th-century date impose upon the terrace itself.
In the W wall of the vestry, above the string-course, there is a medieval grave-slab bearing, in false relief, a floriated Latin cross: on the sinister side of the cross, there is, a double-edged sword with depressed quillons and segmented coped pommel, surmounted by a shield bearing a saltire and a chief; on the dexter side, there is an inscription which has been rendered unintelligible by re-cutting. The margin of the slab is decorated with a running scroll. Built into the N wall of the vestry, there is a small panel bearing, in relief, the letters WMH and the date 1644.
Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/PC), 29 September 1993.
Parish Church. White-painted T-plan kirk built in 1782, incorporating work of 1730; enlarged in 1791 and 1809.
J Gifford 1996.
|Books and References|
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 339-40 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO
Gifford, J (1996) Dumfries and Galloway, The Buildings of Scotland series London
Page(s): 555 Held at RCAHMS Quick
Hay, G (1957a) The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, Oxford
Page(s): 92, 254 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.HAY