Lockerbie, Dryfesdale Parish Church

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Lockerbie, High Street; Dryfesdale And Trinity Parish Church; War Memorial Plaques, Book Of Rememberance
Site Type CHURCH, WAR MEMORIAL(S) (19-20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 66884
Site Number NY18SW 73
NGR NY 13561 81855
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Parish DRYFESDALE
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District ANNANDALE AND ESKDALE
Former County DUMFRIES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

Architect, F J C Carruthers, 1896-98.

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NY18SW 73 13561 81855

For Dryfesdale Parish Church Hall, see NY18SW 183.

For predecessor churches at Sandbed (NY c. 12 84) and Dryfe, Old Parish Church (NY 1289 8383), see NY18SW 110 and NY18SW 18 respectively.

Dated 1898. Architect Frank C Carruthers of Lockerbie and Dumfries. Previous church built 1757 as a successor to that described on NY18SW 18.
OSA 1793; NSA 1845; Annandale Herald and Moffat News, 12 March 1896; 16 July 1896; Annandale Observer, 13 March 1896.

The church of Dryfesdale was dedicated to St Cuthbert. In 1116 it belonged to the See of Glasgow. The old church at the Kirkhill was carried away by a flood of the river Dryfe. A new church, built in 1671, was swept off also, with a great part of the churchyard. The church was then built in Lockerbie, and has since been rebuilt there.
H Scott 1915-61.

This church (dated 1898) occupies an elevated position within its burial-ground, and probably stands on much the same site as its post-Reformation predecessor.
Within the burial-ground there are many 18th-century gravestones (most of them exceptionall plain), the earliest observed being dated 1710. The most notable stone commemorates the wife and daughter of William Chrichton in Bangill, who died respectively 3 September 1746, aged 36 years, and 25 July 1746, aged 14; a woman and girl, with hands linked, figure in relief on the tympanum and a re flanked by a crown and hour glass.
Visited by RCAHMS (IMS, PC), 30 September 1993.

February 2014 to July 2014
 PROJECT

Notes A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Further details

 
Books and References

Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 253, 335 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO

NSA (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.4 (Dumfries), 456 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA

OSA (1791-9) The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, in Sinclair, J (Sir) Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.9, 423 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749