Glasgow, 130 Springburn Road, St Rollox Locomotive Works

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Caledonian Railway's Locomotive Works; 321- 329 Charles Street; Springburn
Site Type RAILWAY ENGINEERING WORKS
Canmore ID 68411
Site Number NS66NW 42
NGR NS 604 666
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Recording Your Heritage Online

St Rollox House, 130-132 Springburn Road, 1887, Robert Dundas, engineer
Former St Rollox Railway Works Offices. Long red brick block, with yellow dressings, round-arched windows in pilastered bays, for Caledonian Railway Company. Now occupied by Scottish Enterprise, Glasgow North.


Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NS66NW 42.00 604 666

NS66NW 42.01 60399 66736 South Office

St Rollox Railway Works, 130 Springburn Rd, originally built for the Caledonian Railway in 1856-7, but completely rebuilt in the 1880s under the direction of Dugald Drummond, to designs by Robert Dundas, engineer. The buildings are mainly single storey, with round-headed openings and circular ventilators in the gable ends, and are of red and white brick. The two storey and attic, 3 by 17 bay office block on Springburn Rd was built in 1887 (£3500).

J R Hume 1974

 
Books and References

Hume, J R (1974) The industrial archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow
Page(s): 80, 169-170 C75 Held at RCAHMS D.12.4.IND

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749