Glencoe, Massacre Of Glencoe Memorial

© Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Macdonald's Monument; Glencoe Massacre
Canmore ID 71831
Site Number NN15NW 4
NGR NN 10509 58793
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District LOCHABER
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Recording Your Heritage Online

Upper Carnoch Memorial to the Massacre of Glencoe, sculpted by Macdonald of Aberdeen, 1883, a tapering Celtic cross soaring up from a rugged cairn near the scattering of older cottages above the river.

[Just a little beyond the Clachaig Inn, a track leads over the Moor to the site of MacIain's summer residence at a former settlement in Gleann Leac na Muidhe. It was here and in the vicinity that, on 13 February 1692, he and 37 of his clansmen were murdered by a militia of the Earl of Argyll's regiment in the infamous Massacre of Glencoe. Why was MacIain in his summer residence in winter? No longer visible today, the ruins were still evident earlier this century.]

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2007. Published by the Rutland Press

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

Books and References

Miers, M (2008) The Western Seaboard: an illustrated architectural guide, Edinburgh

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749