Aberdeen, Maberly Street, Broadford Works, Hackling Building And Sundial

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Broadford's Flax Mill; Broadford Firehose And Canvas Works
Site Type BUILDING, SUNDIAL
Canmore ID 76204
Site Number NJ90NW 125.01
NGR NJ 93584 06814
Council ABERDEEN, CITY OF
Parish ABERDEEN
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District CITY OF ABERDEEN
Former County ABERDEENSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc NJ 93584 06814 and c.NJ 936 068

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NJ90NW 125.01 93584 06814 and c. 936 068

Hackling Building the S gable on Maberly Street, completed c.1860, internally rebuilt with arched concrete floor on steel beams about 1900. The dressed flax store at N end was added in 1910.

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NJ90NW 125.01 93584 06814 and c. 936 068

Sundial dated 1692 on its rounded face and the letters 'WI' and 'LS' on its squared side. It was reportedly found at the site of Broadford's Flax Mill during demolition work in the first few years of this century. Much rebuilding work has been done in that area in the years 1901-1912 with a large house and garden being demolished during that period. The sundial is 0.6m high and 0.38m wide, with a c5 sq cm socket in the base.
J A Stones and A S Cameron 1989

28 July 2008
 SITE MANAGEMENT

Project Buildings at Risk Register BARR

Notes L plan ranges of two distintive styles or phases, from the east, parapeted venetianed windowed front to the office court; 12 by 2 bay pilasted building running west. Par of l arge group of textile manufacturing and storage buildings, granite and brick-clad, of iron-framed or reinforced concrete construction, with setted streets between them. Slate or flat concrete roofs.

The oldest iron-framed mill in Scotland and the fourth oldest known to survive in the world (after others of 1796, 1804 and 1805, all inter- related). The adjoining South Mill may be the third iron framed building in Scotland.

Built for Scott Brown and Co (of Angus), 1808, bankrupt 1811 and sold to Sir John Maberly MP, entrepreneur, speculator and introducer of jute to the UK. Maberley rapidly developed Broadford Works, adopting the first gas lighting of an industrial complex in Scotland, by Boulton and Watt in 1814-15, and Scotland's second power loom linen weaving factory in Scotland in 1824. Maberly was himself bankrupt and in 1834 the works passed to Richards and Co, who had a bleachworks at Rubislaw and branches at Montrose, produced canvas tarpaulins and as a particular specialism, fire hoses. Latterly man- made fibres for carpet yarn etc has replaced flax. Employment peaked at 3,000, once the largest single employer in Aberdeen. (Historic Scotland).

BARR website http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/909845

Further details

 
Books and References

Stones and Cameron, J A and A S (1989d) 'Broadfords Flax Mill, sundial', Discovery Excav Scot
Page(s): 18

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749