Dirlot Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 8264
Site Number ND14NW 5
NGR ND 1262 4864
Council HIGHLAND
Parish HALKIRK
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District CAITHNESS
Former County CAITHNESS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

ND14NW 5 1262 4864.

(ND 1262 4864) Dirlot Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map, (1963)

The remains of Dirlot Castle occupy the N end of a steep-sided, isolated rock beside the Thurso River some two miles S of Westerdale. The keep has been very small, measuring some 18ft by 10ft within walls 6 1/2ft thick and now some 3 to 4ft in height. It occupies the full extent of the N end of the rock, while the S portion of the summit, measuring some 40ft by 24ft, has formed a courtyard, around which the remains of a parapet are visible. Some 30ft out from the base of the rock on the side away from the river are the remains of a stony rampart or wall about 6ft in height.
In the 15th century, Dirlot belonged to a family of Sutherlands, but in 1499 passed by Royal charter to one Odo alias Y Makky.
C Cordiner 1780; R Gordon 1813; J T Calder 1887; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1984.

The remains of Dirlot Castle are as described by the RCAHMS (1911). The outer rampart is 25.5m long by 6.0m broad and 2.3m high.
Visited by OS (W D J) 11 April 1961.

No change to the previous field report.
Visited by OS (W D J) 11 April 1961.

 
Books and References

Calder, J T (1887) Sketch of the civil and traditional history of Caithness from the tenth century, Wick
Page(s): 99

Cordiner, C (1780) Antiquities and scenery of the north of Scotland, in a series of letters to Thomas Pennant, Esq. London
Held at RCAHMS D.20.COR.R

Cordiner, C (1788) Remarkable Ruins, and Romantic Prospects, of North Britain, London
Page(s): 83 illust.

Showing 3 from 8 ...show more
Charity SC026749