Alternative Names Beattock Hill
Site Type RING DITCH HOUSE
Canmore ID 87590
Site Number NT00SE 7.04
NGR NT 0560 0165
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District ANNANDALE AND ESKDALE
Former County DUMFRIES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT00SE 7.04 0560 0165
Situated on a low terrace about 15m NW of the large circular settlement NT00SE 8, there are the remains of a ring-ditch house. It is roughly circular on plan and measures about 10m in diameter over a very shallow, poorly-defined ditch.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 9 October 1990.
Listed as timber round-house.
|Books and References|
Feachem, R W (1973a) 'Ancient agriculture in the highland of Britain', Proc Prehist Soc, vol.39
RCAHMS (1920) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Seventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Dumfries, Edinburgh
Page(s): 143, 145, nos. 412 and 420 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(7)
RCAHMS (1997a) Eastern Dumfriesshire: an archaeological landscape, Edinburgh
Page(s): 63-4, 66, 162, 297, no. 567 Held at RCAHMS A.1.7.DUM