Alternative Names Killin (Original) Station; Glenoglehead Crossing; Glenoglehead Cottages
Site Type COTTAGE(S), RAILWAY STATION
Canmore ID 88266
Site Number NN52NE 16
NGR NN 5581 2829
Former Region CENTRAL
Former District STIRLING
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NN52NE 16 5581 2829
Glenoglehead Cottages [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1977.
Not to be confused with Killin Junction (NN 5307 2874), Killin (NN 5749 3328) or Killin, Loch Tay Pier (NN 583 344) stations, for which see NN52NW 20, NN53SE 40 and NN53SE 32, respectively.
This intermediate station on the Stirling-Crianlarich portion of the Oban route of the former Caledonian Rly was opened (as Killin station) by the Callander and Oban Rly on 1 June 1870. It was renamed Glenoglehead Station on 1 April 1886 (at the opening of the Killin branch), further renamed Glenoglehead Crossing on 30 September 1891, and closed to regular passenger traffic in December 1916. It has also entered the literature (and borne platform signs) as Killin Junction station.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 3 December 1998.
R V J Butt 1995.
|Books and References|
Butt, R V J (1995) The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present, Sparkford, nr Yeovil
Page(s): 132 Held at RCAHMS J.6.7.BUT