Alternative Names Allanbank House
Site Type COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 94328
Site Number NT85SE 31
NGR NT 85709 54402
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT85SE 31.01 NT 85440 54568 Farmsteading
Architect : David Bryce, 1848.
Demolished in 1969.
Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS Library.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
Allanbank House is not named on the OS 1:10,000 map, although it is depicted on the 2nd edition series (Berwickshire) sheet XVII, 6, 1908. It has since been demolished.
Information from RCAHMS (AR) 3 May 2000.
|6 November 2007 to 7 November 2007||WATCHING BRIEF|
Notes NT 8570 5440 The history of the site was traced from the early medieval period and there were at least three significant building complexes, the Castle of East Nisbet (15th- to 17thcentury), a 17th- to 18th-century country house, and Allanbank House (1848–1968) built by David Bryce. A watching brief was maintained on 6–7 November 2007 as a total of three service trenches and three trial trenches were excavated over the proposed footprint of a new development.
The evaluation trenches exposed parts of the S and E limits of the Bryce house, demolished in 1968. A previous
owner commented that much of the building stone had been salvaged and the remaining demolition debris
landscaped flat. The remains of the house were relatively well defined by truncated wall lines with areas between these apparently external walls infilled with light rubble and general debris. The excavation revealed the presence of cellarage. The irregular alignment of the outer S walls is reflected by a probable window and doorway, the latter also showing the presence of an external series of at least two steps, the N one of which has been robbed out.
Nothing of any earlier occupation was observed, which may be due to the apparently extensive landscaping of
the natural ground surface when the Bryce house was constructed. The site appears to have been cleared down to firm clays, which lie at a general depth of 0.5m below topsoil. The contents of the service trenches also suggest that the site had been cleared towards the S limits of the available building platform.
The drain in Trench 6 may have some association with a pronounced rounded depression lying NW of the Bryce
house, a possible pond or garden feature, drained or fed by the drain. The feature appears to have been an open, deep channel and may have been a feature of the 19th-century garden layout to the NW of the Bryce house, as opposed to a simple field drain.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: Mr J Church
Gordon Ewart (Kirkdale Archaeology), 2008
|Books and References|
Ewart, G (2008c) 'Allanbank House, Scottish Borders (Edrom parish), monitoring', Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol.9 Cathedral Communications Limited, Wiltshire, England.