Kelso, Wooden Anna, Chain Bridge

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names River Tweed; Kelso, Wooden Estate, Chain Bridge; Wooden Suspension Bridge; Kelso, Chain Bridge
Site Type SUSPENSION BRIDGE
Canmore ID 95789
Site Number NT73SW 93
NGR NT 73521 33842
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish KELSO
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ROXBURGH
Former County ROXBURGHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Accessing Scotland's Past

Until recently, access to Wooden Anna was by a suspension bridge. The last remnants of the bridge were demolished in 1998 to make way for the new Kelso by-pass.

Photographs of the bridge taken in 1976 show the bridge had two steel pylons at both ends and a wooden plank walkway suspended by a chain made of iron rods to a design characteristic of about 1820. The bridge is shown on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map of Roxburghshire (1860).


Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NT73SW 93 73521 33842

Chain Bridge [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1993.

For Hunter's Bridge (Kelso By-pass), see NT73SW 246.

(Location cited as NT 735 538). Suspension footbridge, Wooden, early 19th century. A small private bridge, with iron link chains, solid suspender rods, and an ordinary link-chain railing. The pylons are of steel, set in concrete bases, and the footway is made of wooden planks.
J R Hume 1976.

(Suspension bridge of Samual Brown chain type). Early 19th century. Steel pylons (presumably replacing wood), single iron link chain on each side with alternative open and closed link ends, iron rod suspenders and wooden plank deck. Private footbridge.
J R Hume 1977b.

The remnants of a suspension bridge were the subject of this RCAHMS photographic survey. Much of it had already been removed leaving only the steel piers and some of the chains. It was removed as part of the new Hunter's Bridge/Kelso Bypass scheme (for which, see NT73SW 246).
Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), February 1998.

This bridge formerly gave access to the extensive midstream island of Wooden Anna from the S, across a subsidiary channel of the River Tweed which apparently also formed the lade of Wooden Mill (NT73SW 116). It did not cross the main channel of the river, which lies further N.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1 February 2006.

 
Books and References

Hume, J R (1976) The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 1, Lowlands and Borders London
Page(s): 234 Held at RCAHMS J.4.11.HUM

Hume, J R (1977b) 'Scottish suspension bridges', Scot Archaeol Forum, vol.8
Page(s): 102, no. 1c

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749