St Kilda, Hirta, Village Bay, Cleit 85

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Lady Grange's House
Site Type CLEIT
Canmore ID 9676
Site Number NF19NW 21.17
NGR NF 10057 99303
Council WESTERN ISLES
Parish HARRIS
Former Region WESTERN ISLES ISLANDS AREA
Former District WESTERN ISLES
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NF19NW 21.17 10057 99303

(NF 10059930) Lady Grange House (NAT)
OS 6"map annotated by J Mathieson (1928)

Lady Grange was imprisoned in this building in 1734 for a period of 8 years, after being abducted at the instigation of her husband and, it is thought, of Simon Lord Lovat (D Laing 1876).
Mathieson (J Mathieson 1928) states that the original house was timber-roofed, and when it fell in it was rebuilt as a 'cleit', but Williamson (K Williamson and J M Boyd 1960) considers it to be the only surviving portion of a 'black-house'. The doorway is said to be original, but the wooden lock (of a design peculiar to the island) is at Dunvegan Castle, Skye.
D Laing 1876; J Mathieson 1928; K Williamson and J M Boyd 1960.

This structure remains as illustrated, and has all the characteristics of being a cleit. It is not shown on H Sharbau's plan of the Village in 1860 (information from H Sharbaeu [Plan of St Kilda village, 1860] National Museum of Anituqities of Scotland [NMAS} Mss), and it may may on the site of Lady Grange's House, but this is not certain either.
Visited by OS (JLD) 8 August 1967.

The largest surviving cleit S of the street, Cleit 85 is popularly known as Lady Grange's House. Though it may occupy the site of the house in which she resided, it is unlikely to incorporate more than a mere vestige of that structure which in 1876 was reported as having been demolished 'a few years ago'.
The drystone walls are battered externally and are neatly corbelled inside. The building measures internally 4.67m in length by 2.01m in maximum width near the W end, where it achieves a height of about 2.44m; it is narrower and lower towards the doorway at the E end.
The doorway has an inward-sloping inner lintel supported on the S side by a single upright slab and two superincumbent courses. The existing wooden door was constructed and put in position in the late 1970s. Outside the doorway on the N side there are several paving stones and a step up to the higher ground. To the S the ground falls away steeply below the base of the outer wall and there is some revetting of the slope.
G P Stell and M Harman 1988.

A survey was carried out by the National Trust for Scotland on over 300 cleitean (singular cleit) on St Kilda. They are double-walled, drystone-built oval or rectangular structures, used primarily for storage of food and fuel resources. Many have survived well after being abandoned in 1930 when the islands were evacuated. The survey recorded their condition, construction and location.
M Taylor 2001


 WIC PROJECT

Notes This project indicates that the record to which it is linked is within, or near the boundary, of an area managed by a SURE partner.
Information from RCAHMS (SH) 24th January 2014

Further details

19 April 1966
 DESK BASED ASSESSMENT

Notes (NF 10059930) Lady Grange House (NAT)
OS 6"map annotated by J Mathieson (1928)

Lady Grange was imprisoned in this building in 1734 for a period of 8 years, after being abducted at the instigation of her husband and, it is thought, of Simon Lord Lovat (D Laing 1876).
Mathieson (J Mathieson 1928) states that the original house was timber-roofed, and when it fell in it was rebuilt as a 'cleit', but Williamson (K Williamson and J M Boyd 1960) considers it to be the only surviving portion of a 'black-house'. The doorway is said to be original, but the wooden lock (of a design peculiar to the island) is at Dunvegan Castle, Skye.
Information from OS (BRS) 19 April 1966
D Laing 1876; J Mathieson 1928; K Williamson and J M Boyd 1960.

Further details

8 August 1967
 FIELD VISIT

Notes This structure remains as illustrated, and has all the characteristics of being a cleit. It is not shown on H Sharbau's plan of the Village in 1860 (information from H Sharbaeu [Plan of St Kilda village, 1860] National Museum of Anituqities of Scotland [NMAS} Mss), and it may may on the site of Lady Grange's House, but this is not certain either.
Visited by OS (JLD) 8 August 1967.

Further details

2001
 CONSERVATION

Notes NF 101 991 (centre) As part of the Management Agreement with Historic Scotland, the monuments within Village Bay were recorded and monitored, and certain cleits, dykes and enclosures were repaired in 2001 under supervision by members of the two volunteer work parties. Detailed work included the completion of the identification of around 300 cleits for active management, and the production of a report on cleit preservation, as well as rapid assessments of coastal erosion and the deposition of builders' debris within some of the roofless structures along the village street.
Report to be deposited in the NMRS.


Further details

2002
 PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY

Notes NF 101 991 (centre) As part of the Management Agreement with Historic Scotland, the monuments within Village Bay were recorded and monitored, and certain cleits, dykes, drains and enclosures were repaired under supervision by members of the volunteer work parties which went out to St Kilda in 2002.
A photographic survey of the coastline in Village Bay was carried out and compared to images taken in 1999. The survey indicated erosion along the NE side of the bay. Two sherds of hand-made pottery were recovered and a layer of burning noted in an exposed section.
The annual monitoring of cleits across the island was carried out and the photographic survey of them continued.
Report to be deposited in the NMRS.
Sponsors: HS, NTS.
S Bain 2002

Further details

 
Books and References

Laing, D (1876d) 'An episode in the life of Mrs Rachael Erskine, Lady Grange, detailed by herself in a letter from St Kilda, January 20th, 1738, and other original papers', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.11
Page(s): 597-608

Mathieson, J (1928) 'The antiquities of the St Kilda group of Islands', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.62
Page(s): 132 fig. 15

Stell and Harman, G P and M (1988) Buildings of St Kilda, (8 copies), Edinburgh
Page(s): 45-6, no. 17 Held at RCAHMS A.1.7.STE

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749