Fountainhall, Allanshaugh House
Alternative Names Allan's Haugh
Site Type HOUSE
Canmore ID 99706
Site Number NT44NW 47
NGR NT 43239 49511
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ETTRICK AND LAUDERDALE
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
NT44NW 47 43239 49511
This two storey house is situated about 218m NE of the village of Fountainhall (NT44NW) on the S bank of the Gala Water. The house has the appearance of a lodge with a verandah, some half-timbering and second storey additions. The current OS digital maps show a large roofed with three smaller roofed buildings at this location.
Allan's Haugh is depicted as two roofed buildings on the 1st Edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire, 1854, sheet23), described in the Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey as ' two thatched cottages on the property of George Thomson of Burnhouse (NT44NW)' (Name Book 1850). The current OS maps annotate the group as 'Allanshaugh'.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, JM), 27 August 2009
|Books and References|
Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale). Held at RCAHMS on micro fiche.
Page(s): Book No.63, 10 Held at RCAHMS Ref